Friday, April 22, 2011

My Digits


I thought that I would add my digits. I find it interesting how different people idealize/exaggerate one body feature over another. It is what the ancient Romans discovered when they began to make their idealized sculptures of the human body. They discovered mathematical formulas for proportions of the human body that do not really exist, even in the fittest of individuals. But, they are pleasing to the eye.

It is especially intriguing in light of (the far too many) women who have a poor body image in RL. There are so many avatars with impossibly small waists, and distorted hips and butts, or boobs that could only be achieved if the entire body was 200x overweight. I've also seen quite a few avatars that are incredibly skinny. We do know from research on people's experience with their avatars in virtual worlds that many people become strongly attached and identify with their avatars. So, I wonder if there are, and if so, what are the effects of living a virtual life in an unrealistic body?

No comments:

Post a Comment